Why i Tri!

So why do I do this crazy sport?  And why do i need three different sports to train for.. why not focus on just one?  Well… first, i am a bit ADD (as they call it these days)… i get bored quickly and three different sports tends to cure that:).  Second… well.. as you can see by the photos below I had to find something to help keep me in shape and training for triathlons tends to do the trick.

Not too long ago i was pushing 245before_2 pounds (YIKES) and really hbefore_1ad no idea how to eat right or how to exercise.  The 20/20 program at the Pro Sports Club fixed that about 4 years ago (basically think of “America’s Biggest Loser", except you pay them money to yell at you vs. trying to win some money.)  I have been around 175-180 pounds since the program and i feel great!   Yikes!  I never want to feel or look like that EVER again!

A few years ago i stumbled on to cycling… something i loved doing back in collage but gave up when i got out of shape.  Cycling was great but I wanted something that was a bit more goal oriented.  My friend Doug Thompson had just completed his first Ironman and talked me into joining a new triathlon team that his coach was forming… so i did.  I joined team JFT2 and started learning about the sport.  When i competed in my first triathlon last year i didn’t know how to swim(really.. i managed to breast stroke and float on my back around the course!) and i hadn’t ran in about 18 months… it was a bit painful but i made it to the finish line and fell in love with the sport of triathlon.  Now at the start of my second season i have started to figure out what i am doing and this year i will be competing in my first Half Ironman race (Lake Stevens 70.3) and my first full Ironman (Ironman Arizona November.)

LakeStevens5Training ride on the Lake Stevens 1/2 IM course on the QR (thanks to Triumph Multisport!) 

    kirkland tiathlon 068BD_Tri

Comments

RawTriGirl said…
Great post Greg. You don't even look like yourself in the overweight picture. Looking forward to cheering you on at Lake Stevens.

Your teammate,

Melissa

Popular posts from this blog

Issaquah Triathlon 2009

Issaquah Triathlon 2008

Ironman Arizona 2008